TCM GREATEST CLASSIC LEGENDS:
MICKEY ROONEY & JUDY GARLAND
This new set will feature each of the four films only, as all of the TCM Greatest Classic Films (Legends) series do. Now’s your chance to have the four Mickey/Judy “Let’s Put On A Show” musicals for a low retail price ($27.92).
From Warner Home Video:
GIRL CRAZY (1943): With Judy makin’ Bidin’ My Time a cowboy hoedown, Mickey mimicking a boxing announcer in a knockout comedy bit and Tommy Dorsey providin’ Fascinatin’ Rhythm, this Gershwin tunefest is a swell bidin’ of everyone’s time, including a joyous Busby Berkeley-staged I Got Rhythm finale.
- Commentary by John Fricke
- Comedy Short Hollywood Daredevils
- Cartoon The Early Bird Dood It
- I Got Rhythm Stereo Remix Version
- Audio-Only Bonus: Bronco Busters Outtake
STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940): Mickey and Judy lead the effort to enter their school band in a swing-music contest hosted by Paul Whiteman. Judy solos Nobody, Rooney dances and drums with volcanic energy and director Busby Berkeley brings his famed angles, precision dance and cutting to Do the La Conga and the rousing title finale.
- Pete Smith Specialty Comedy Short Wedding Bills
- Cartoon Romeo in Rhythm
- Do the La Conga Stereo Remix Version
- Audio-Only Bonuses: Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo, Millions for Defense excerpt, 1940 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
BABES IN ARMS (1939): With Rodgers and Hart songs and Busby Berkeley direction, this tale of kids rescuing their cash-strapped vaudevillian parents by putting on a show is Mickey and Judy’s first musical together, Arthur Freed’s first producer credit and Rooney’s first Oscar® nomination.
- Commentary by John Fricke
- Our Gang Short Duel Personalities
- Cartoon The Mad Maestro
- 1939 Newsreel
- Audio-Only Bonuses: Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo and three radio shows with Rooney and Garland
BABES ON BROADWAY (1941): This time the babes aid inner-city kids by puttin’ on a show. Mickey hoofs, clowns and shakes his fruit basket as Carmen Miranda. Judy sings and emotes (in French!) as Sarah Bernhardt. And both bring down the house with How About You, Hoe Down and a minstrel-show stopping finale.
- Pete Smith Specialty Comedy Short How to Hold Your Husband – Back
- Cartoon Dance of the Weed
- Audio-Only Bonuses: Two Leo Is on the Air Radio Promos, Merton of the Movies Radio Adaptation with Rooney and Garland and Chin Up! Cheerio! Carry On! Song Demo Performed by Burton Lane.
ALL MOVIES IN THE COLLECTION INCLUDE:
- Introduction by Mickey Rooney
- Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles: English (Main Feature. Bonus Material/Trailer May Not Be Subtitled)
The only other Garland related release in the series is the 2009 “American Musicals” edition:
And the now defunct, similar “movie only” “Essential Classics” series: