JSP Records will release Judy Garland: The Two-A-Day Is Back In Town, Closing Night at the Palace, February 24, 1952, Garland’s legendary closing night at the Palace in New York after her historic sold-out 19-week run, on October 6, 2023.
Based on a new transfer and restoration of a set of original acetate transcription discs of the show plus other sources, the CD marks the first time the performance is issued in its entirety. It was produced by John Stedman, remastered by John H. Haley, and contains new liner notes by Garland historian Lawrence Schulman. As an extra bonus, the eyewitness account by singer-pianist Charlie Cochran, who attended one of the shows during Garland’s run, is also included. The first live Garland show ever to have been recorded in full, the recording took months to restore and remaster using the most sophisticated 21st-century technology currently available.
Check out The Judy Room’s “Judy Garland In Concert” pages for more details and images from this legendary concert.
THE TWO-A-DAY IS BACK IN TOWN
CLOSING NIGHT AT THE PALACE, FEBRUARY 24, 1952
FIRST COMPLETE RELEASE
- Overture (first release)
- Chorus introduction (Judy’s Boyfriends)
- Call the Press/On the Town (Judy & her Boyfriends)
- Judy at the Palace Medley
- Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody
- Introduction of Hugh Martin / Judy’s Olio
- This is Our Spot (Judy’s Boyfriends)
- Get Happy (Judy & her Boyfriends)
- What Next? What’ll She Do Now? (Judy’s Boyfriends)
- A Couple of Swells (Judy & Jack McClendon)
- The Trolley Song (instrumental)
- Over the Rainbow
- Over the Rainbow (instrumental)
- Love (Hugh Martin, piano)
- Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow (Hugh Martin, piano)
- Liza (Hugh Martin, piano)
- Judy introduces Lauritz Melchior
- Auld Lang Syne (Melchior and audience)
- Over the Rainbow (concluding instrumental)
BONUS TRACK: After You’ve Gone (Hugh Martin, piano), from an unknown other night.
RKO Palace Orchestra; Jack Cathcart, Conductor; Hugh Martin, Piano.
Judy’s Eight Boyfriends: Hal Bell; Jack Boyle; William Lundy; Bert May (Dance Specialty); Jack McLendon; Hamil Petroff; Jack Regas; and Ricky Riccardi.
Transfer and restoration by John H Haley, Harmony Restorations, LLC (2023).
Liner notes by Lawrence Schulman, with special thanks to Charlie Cochran and Kim Lundgreen.
Copyright ©&℗ JSP Records 2023, including all compilation, transfer, remastering, and restoration aspects.
Manufactured in the United Kingdom.
JSP Records, PO Box 1584, London N3 3NW England
Visit us at www.jsprecords.com
Order here (note that the track listing is out of order on this Amazon UK link).