Mort Lindsey 1923 – 2012

Mort Lindsey
Mort Lindsey has died at the age of 89.  His work with Judy can never be underestimated.  Among his many accomplishments:  He was the musical director for  I Could Go On Singing and Gay Purr-ee, and was the conductor/arranger for her TV series.  Perhaps his greatest Garland-related accomplishment is the fact that he was the musical director for Judy’s 1961 tour including the legendary Carnegie Hall concert.  RIP Mort.

Mort accompanies Judy for “Just in Time”

Comments
9 Responses to “Mort Lindsey 1923 – 2012”
  1. Lawrence Schulman says:

One of Judy’s closest collaborators is gone, and it is indeed a sad day. Our hearts go out to his family.

I spoke with Mort about a year ago concerning a musical question I had. I had written him with the inquiry, and he phoned me back. Although we were strangers, he spoke with me warmly. His affection and admiration for Judy were undiminished.

Judy’s career would not have been the same without Mort Lindsey. Carnegie Hall, I Could Go on Singing, the TV series, the specials – none of these would have had the same impact without the musical brilliance of Lindsey.

He will be missed.

2. D. says:

Rest in Peace Mort, I can’t help but wonder if some where, out there, Mort isn’t striking up the band for the Garland overture, it’s nice to hope that Judy and Mort are together again.

3. Richard Hatch says:

He seemed like not only a great musical director, but a great friend to Judy. It seemed as if he was very loyal to her. I feel bad that he is gone, but he led a long, fulfilling life, thank God. Now he and Judy are together again, and I am happy for that. R.I.P. Mort, and thanks for the memories.

4. lori seligman says:

wow he must of knew here very well. i am sure he will be missed from lori

5. Bruce Weddle says:

What a great loss. I will always appreciate how well Mr. Lindsey spoke of Judy after her death. Only love and admiration for our Judy. Thank you Mort Lindsey for all of your brilliant musical contributions that have made this world a little brighter. And your very kind heart toward Judy and Judy’s memory.

6. Joni Rapp says:

He was a maestro of the highest order. I always admired him and was thrilled to seem him featured as the conductor in, I COULD GO ON SINGING. His arrangements were some of the best Judt ever had ….especially for a live show. The Carnegie Hall OVERTURE alone should have receieved an award. God Bless, Mort. R.I.P.

7. Top Judy fan always says:

So sorry about Mr. Lindsey’s passing — just hearing about this. His arrangements for Judy were second to none. You could see the mutual respect when they would look at one another. I always thought he was such a nice-looking man, too — seemed so humble. I love the story from Judy’s TV show when she asked him about one of her outfits, and he responded that she looked like the zebra upholstery at the Mocamba Lounge (or something to that effect). She reportedly was quite irate but then had a huge laugh from it, R.I.P., dear Mort …

8. Brenda Lane says:

So sorry to have learned of Mort’s passing from us, He was (in my book) THE greatest thing that ever happened to Judy in terms of her music; no one else came close. His top-drawer arranging and conducting (not to mention his piano prowess) complemented so many great singers over the years-and I will never forget his work with Barbra and Merv. Thanks Mort-God needed another baton in the heavenly orchestra, and you fit the bill nicely.

9. Joni Rapp says:

He was simply the BEST! Saw him with her at Forest Hill in 1965 …(I have a funny story about that to0; Havoing lived a few blocks away)..,…. and loved his appearance (as well as musical talents) in all his endeavors …even AFTER dear Judy. Merv gave him a great job for years! R.I.P. great man! You are thoguht of and remembered.