JUDY GARLAND: CLASSIC DUETS – New 4-CD set with 14 new-to-CD tracks!

PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION

JSP Records to Release
JSP Records

Judy Garland: Classic Duets in 2017

Judy Garland - Classic Duets - from JSP RecordsLONDON — JSP Records is proud to announce that it will release in 2017 a 4-CD 109-track set, produced by John Stedman, called JUDY GARLAND: CLASSIC DUETS, that will include 14 tracks never previously issued on CD. Entirely remastered by the renowned audio restorer John H. Haley, with the cover and brochure designed by the distinguished New York-based graphic artist Raphael Geroni, it will contain essays by the award-winning Garland historian Lawrence Schulman, John H. Haley, Randy L. Schmidt, who is the author of Judy Garland on Judy Garland: Interviews and Encounters (Chicago Review Press, 2014), and French singer Isabelle Georges, whose CD and show devoted to Garland, called Une étoile et moi, met universal acclaim. The set, which was compiled by Schulman, will contain duets Garland sang with 33 partners, including such illustrious names as Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Mickey Rooney, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Johnny Mercer, Dick Haymes, Bob Hope, Al Jolson, Sophie Tucker, Fanny Brice, and others. Past JSP sets devoted to Garland, all curated by Schulman, include Lost Tracks (2010), Smilin’ Through – The Singles Collection 1936-1947 (2011), The Carnegie Hall Concert (2012), Creations 1929-1962 Songs She Introduced (2013), The Garland Variations (2014), The Best of Lost Tracks (2015), and Judy Garland Sings Harold Arlen (2016). For further information, contact JSP Records at john@jsprecords.com.

For more about Judy Garland’s recordings, check out The Judy Garland Online Discography.

spacer

Comments
14 Responses to “JUDY GARLAND: CLASSIC DUETS – New 4-CD set with 14 new-to-CD tracks!”
  1. lori says:

neat

2. So, what are the tracks?

3. Judi says:

Love that cover art !

4. lschulman says:

Hi Gregg,

I have decided not to release the track list just yet. The new set will be remastered in the coming months by John H. Haley, and until that is done I think it would be imprudent of me to release the specific tracks. Thanks for your interest, though. And rest assured that once the dust settles, the track list will be made available.

All best.
    LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

5. dlee says:

Was a full version of Judy and Mickey singing Where or When ever recorded? The film version in Babes in Arms is truncated and I would love to know if they recorded the whole thing all the way through at that time.

6. ozianscott says:

Hi, thanks for writing. As far as anyone knows, a full version of “Where or When” was never recorded by the duo for the film. If they had, and if it survived, it would have been included in the 1995 Rhino Records deluxe 4-CD boxed set that featured the complete soundtracks to their four musicals together: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/mickeyjudy.html

7. dlee says:

Thanks for your prompt reply to my question. I really apprecaite it. What a shame that they didn’t do a full version though as it is one of my favourite songs. 😦

I have two other questions that someone might be able to help me with:

1. The first is similar to the question above: is there a full version of Judy singing Blue Skies available? I have heard her singing a short portion of it for a radio show recorded in 1948.

2. I know Judy wrote the lyrics to “Love’s New Sweet Song”. Did she ever write any other song lyrics or compose any other pieces herself for which recordings survive?

3. According to this page, Judy wrote the entire story for the play in which “Love’s New Sweet Song” was featured: http://www.thejudyroom.com/radiosongs.html

Does a recording of the entire play still exist or is there a transcript or synopsis of it somewhere? (In other words, what is it about? Is it a romantic comedy, a melodrama or what?)

Thanks and cheers!

dlee

8. ozianscott says:

I’ve never heard a full version of her singing “Blue Skies.” There might be one out there, but probably not.

All I have is the song “Love’s New Sweet Song” – I don’t have the full show. If you find it, I’d love to hear it.

Sorry I can’t give you better info. 😦

9. dlee says:

Okay. Thank you.

10. bkhanson says:

Wow! What a fantastic album cover! It not only evokes a period long past but also is a visual suggestion of wonderful recordings. I hope that the material lives up to the packaging. Sincerely, Bruce

11. lschulman says:

The cover was designed by the fantastically talented Raphael Geroni. He is a New York-based artist who also designed the cover of Michael Feinstein’s book on the Gershwins, The Gershwins and Me: A Personal History in Twelve Songs (Simon and Schuster, 2012). Raphael has also recently done a series of film titles for The Judy Room. JSP Records is honored that his great cover will grace JUDY GARLAND: CLASSIC DUETS.

LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

12. Looking forward to that. I hope the restorations are as good as those on the recent Harold Arlen 2 CD set. 16 previously unreleased tracks – not anywhere? That is truly wonderful news.

13. Sheldon Cooper says:

Thank You again Lawrence Schulman! Your Cd’s on the great Judy Garland are my favorites, included with the 24 gold Carnegie Hall Cd!

14. lschulman says:

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks so much for your kind words. But, credit must go where credit is due. The audio restorer Steve Hoffman worked on the 24 gold Carnegie Hall CD, and I had nothing to do with that one.

Question: Are you the “real” Sheldon Cooper? If so, I am touched by your interest in my work. Thanks.

All best.