To celebrate the centennial of Judy Garland (1922-1969) in 2022, Avid Entertainment Ltd is proud to announce that it will release a 2-CD set, Judy at Carnegie Hall, the recording of her legendary April 23, 1961 concert there, on February 4, 2022. Entirely remastered by audio engineer Nick Dellow, the set, which in all its iterations over the decades has always been sharp, has also been repitched for the first time. Contributing to the release is the award-winning Garland historian Lawrence Schulman, who wrote new liner notes, and recent remarks by Jim Silke, who designed the original cover, which won a Grammy Award for Best Album Cover.
Avid Group to Release Judy at Carnegie Hall in 2022
WATFORD, UK – To commemorate Judy Garland’s centenary in June 2022, Avid Entertainment Ltd is proud to announce the release of the double-CD set, Judy at Carnegie Hall, on February 4, 2022. Based on the best-selling and Grammy Award-winning LP of the same name, the set presents her historic concert at Carnegie Hall, New York on April 23, 1961, remastered by audio engineer, Nick Dellow.
For the first time, Garland’s concert performance has been properly pitched across the entire recording (the original LP runs slightly sharp), giving her voice – and the orchestra under the direction of Mort Lindsey – greater depth, intimacy, and “pow,” as Garland put it in a 1961 Life Magazine profile. The show takes on a whole new life as a result of this remastering, allowing listeners to experience the concert as if for the first time. Garland’s voice is richer, the brass is crisper, and the bass is fuller.
In addition to the original liner notes, the set includes new notes by award-winning Garland historian Lawrence Schulman, recent remarks by Jim Silke, winner of the Grammy Award for Best Album Cover for Judy at Carnegie Hall, and rare photos from the concert. No stone has been left unturned to make this new set the go-to Garland Carnegie Hall.
AVID previously released two Judy Garland CD sets, both remastered by Dellow: the 2017 Judy Garland: Four Classic Albums Plus (A Star Is Born / Miss Show Business / Judy / Alone), and the 2019 Judy Garland: Four Classic Albums Plus (Judy In Love / Judy Garland At The Grove / That’s Entertainment / The Garland Touch).
The ARSC Journal called the 2017 AVID release “a welcome addition to the Garland discography.” It goes on to compare the remastering by Dellow to other engineers who have worked on Garland sets: “… Dellow has stiff competition from other distinguished restorers, but can rightfully claim a well-deserved place in this rarified club of audio engineers.”
Concerning the 2019 AVID Garland CD set, TheJudyRoom.com stated: “…audio restoration and remastering technology has advanced to the point that new remasters of these recordings are light years ahead of what’s been accomplished in the past.”
Interviewed in 2019 at TheJudyRoom.com, when asked about changing the pitch on a recording, Dellow stated: “Lawrence Schulman and I established that most of Garland’s Capitol recordings were mastered sharp…even if they weren’t actually recorded sharp. I don’t think there is anything particularly unusual about this. Many times I have come across tracks on the 1950s and early 1960s LPs that are out of pitch. Sometimes the problem is due to a technical issue with the tape machines or acetate master cutting machine at the mastering stage. But the fact that some tracks were mastered sharp was often the result of a deliberate policy carried out by record companies in order to ‘brighten’ the sound, and that is especially true when it came to recordings of popular music singers. Judy Garland’s voice was very natural and unforced, so restoring it to the correct pitch has been an important aspect and has certainly helped to reveal the true beauty of her singing, whatever the track might be.”
AVID’s Judy at Carnegie Hall can be pre-ordered at www.avidgroup.co.uk in early 2022, or by going to the usual outlets.
Personnel: Judy Garland, vocals; Mort Lindsey & His Orchestra; Mort Lindsey, piano; John Bello, trumpet; William Lavorgna, drums, Howard Hirsch, percussion
- Overture: The Trolley Song/Over The Rainbow/The Man That Got Away (Medley) (Martin, Blane/Arlen, Harburg/Arlen, Gershwin)
- When You’re Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You) (Shay, Fisher, Goodwin)
- Medley: Almost Like Being In Love/This Can’t Be Love (Loewe, Lerner/Rodgers, Hart)
- Do It Again (Gershwin, DeSylva)
- You Go To My Head (Coots, Gillespie)
- Alone Together (Schwartz, Dietz)
- Who Cares? (As Long As You Care For Me) (Gershwin, Gershwin)
- Puttin’ On The Ritz (Berlin)
- How Long Has This Been Going On? (Gershwin, Gershwin)
- Just You, Just Me (Greer, Kalges)
- The Man That Got Away (Arlen, Gershwin)
- San Francisco (Jurmann, Kaper, Kahn)
- I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (Fields, McHugh)
- That’s Entertainment! (Schwartz, Dietz)
- Come Rain Or Come Shine (Arlen, Mercer)
- You’re Nearer (Rodgers, Hart)
- A Foggy Day (Gershwin, Gershwin)
- If Love Were All (Coward)
- Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart (Hanley)
- Stormy Weather (Arlen, Koehler)
- Medley: You Made Me Love You/For Me And My Gal/The Trolley Song (Monaco, McCarthy/Meyer, Leslie, Goetz/Martin, Blane)
- Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody (Schwartz, Lewis, Young)
- Over The Rainbow (Arlen, Harburg)
- Swanee (Gershwin, Caesar)
- After You’ve Gone (Creamer, Layton)
- Chicago (Fisher)
AVIDGROUP.co.uk is the trading name for AVID Limited. AVID Limited is an independently owned CD and DVD distributor that was established in 1989 and incorporates the AVID Entertainment Ltd CD and DVD label, which was established in 1991.