The Judy Garland Wars – Introduction

INTRODUCTION

Judy GarlandJudy Garland fans are hardcore.  I should know, I’m one of them.  Garfans (as I call them) are divided into two groups:  the fans and the freaks.  Call them Garfans and Garfreaks, if you will.  Garfreaks constitute one of the most hardcore celebrity fan bases out there.  They define the term “fan” in the basic sense:  fan.  noun.  an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.: a baseball fan; a great fan of Charlie Chaplin.  They also define the term in the most extreme sense:  noun.  1520s, “insane person,” from Latin fanaticus “mad, enthusiastic, inspired by a god,” also “furious, mad,” originally, “pertaining to a temple,” from fanum “temple,” related to festus “festive.” Meaning “zealous person” is mid-17c. As an adjective, in English, 1530s, “furious;” meaning “characterized by excessive enthusiasm,” especially in religion (of Nonconformists), is from 1640s.

Perhaps only Marilyn and Elvis fans are as hardcore as the most ardent Garfreaks.  Maybe Trekkers (Star Trek fans).  By hardcore I mean that they will say and do anything to achieve what they perceive as fame within their ranks, even if that means stooping to slander, theft, smear campaigns – you name it, they’ve done it!  Think of a spotlight whore on L.S.D.

I should stop here for a bit of clarification before I alienate every fan I know.  I use the terms Garfans and Garfreaks differently.  Garfans are the nice, well adjusted, regular fans out there.  Garfreaks take their fandom to the most extreme level, usually with victims of their nasty deeds left in their wake.  When the term “Drama Queen” was first used, it just had to be in reference to a Garfreak!

Garfans and Garfreaks generally refer to themselves as a “community.”  Community is not a word I would choose.  Not for the Garfreaks.  If anything, they’re more of an anti-community.  There isn’t much of a communal aspect to be found.  Well, not unless you’re part of one of the clusters of covens.  If you are, then you’re in over your head and need serious counseling.  These covens are part of a subculture twice removed.  The largest circle encompasses the subculture of fan bases of all celebrities, with each individual fan base being a subculture of that.  Under that we have the coven subcultures.  Cult is the word first used to describe Garfreaks by the press in the 1960s.  I agree with that.  Garfreakdom is most definitely a cult.  Look it up.  All the players are there:  The goddess (Judy Garland); the high priests (self appointed experts); and the rabble (the sheep that blindly follow the high priests).

On the flip side we have the Garfans who really ARE a community.  Just regular middle class suburban types who enjoy their common love of Judy Garland.  They’ll talk about her, agree, disagree, but always with the upbeat and positive attitude and outlook that Garland herself gave to us through her performances.  They’re not pathological.  They don’t turn everything into a competition where the stakes are ——— nothing.  These are the people who make it all worthwhile.  Wading through the minefield of Garfreaks to get to the real fans is worth it in the long run.  You’ll make some wonderful lifelong friends if you can endure the trek.

A fanatic is someone who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
– – attributed to Winston Churchill

For more than half a century now, the most pathological and and insane of these Garfreaks – who are also the most vocal – have given the Garfans a really bad reputation.  “Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t they?”  Oh yes.  Garfreaks are looked upon by the rest of celebrity fandom, and the rest of the entertainment industry for that matter, as “those crazy Garland freaks.”  This is unfortunate.  Tell anyone on the outside that you’re a Garland fan and they will probably look at you with a befuddled or confused look.  Or they’ll roll their eyes.  Whatever the case, they’ll immediately assume that you’re crazy.  Or they’ll assume you’re gay.  Gay men have been linked to Judy Garland since the 1940s, although it wasn’t until the late 1960s that the media began to remark about the rather odd fellows who seemed to be taking over her concerts.  Straight men who are Garland fans hide their fandom as much as a gay men who are still in the closet hide their sexuality.  That’s how big that stigma is.  Judy Garland isn’t seen as one of the top gay icons of all time for nothing.

Before I go on, let me get this off my chest:  I love Judy Garland.  I do!  Well, I don’t love her in a physical sense of course.  What I love and have always loved is her talent.  For my money, she was the greatest singer-actress of the 20th century.  I love watching her perform or simply listening to her sing.   That voice!  When people ask me “Why Judy?  What IS it about her that attracts you to her?”  I always respond with “Her voice.  There’s something about the way she sings that gets me every time.”  Over the years, I have wafted back and forth as a Garfan and a Garfreak.  The freak part was the result of my allowing myself to get sucked into the tornado of drama by the Garfreaks.  No, I didn’t steal or anything like that, but I’m not proud of allowing the hardcore Garfreaks get to me.  Baptism by fire, as they say.

This web series chronicles my experiences, good and bad, in this wacky world of Judy Garland fandom.  I start at the beginning before the Internet came along, and continue up to the present day.  It’s all done with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.  Sure, there’s drama.  There’s mud flinging.  There are some really horrible, nasty actions by many people out there.  But there is much joy and happiness too!  Let’s face it – we’re talking Judy Garland fan stuff here, not state secrets or the inner workings of terrorist groups.  No one outside of our community gives a shit about any of this stuff.  Really!  It’s not a big deal at all.  And therein lies most of the comedy in all of this.  The passion and seriousness exhibited by the players in these chapters will have you cracking up.  Or rolling your eyes.  Or maybe their insane zealousness will have you running for the hills.  Whatever the case, or at the very least, it’s entertaining.  And that’s what Judy Garland was all about wasn’t she?  Entertainment!

© 2015 Scott Brogan, The Judy Room & Judy Garland News & Events

spacer

Back to Preface  |  Continue to Chapter One “My Early Years”

spacer

Comments
8 Responses to “The Judy Garland Wars – Introduction”
  1. Joni Rapp says:

Re: The Judy Garland Wars. Another “book writer” …rather, “Garfreak” as you so aptly have named (I say “Garfreak 2nd Degree”; as the person was not a fan, follower or admirer, but an old employee looking for money and fame due to GREED), has written a book. Grrrrr to Stevie whomever…. I read an excerpt, and not only is it poorly written, it explores old news and trash journalism to the “3rd” degree! Toilet Paper a trash can with this piece of garbage!!!

2. David Munk says:

Hi Scott. I understand completely now that I’ve been dragged through this over the last few weeks.

To Miss Rapp: I would caution you to read more carefully as you have it completely inverted: to use Scott’s parlance, Stevie Phillips is not a “Garfreak,” she is woman who had a very long and successful entertainment industry career who has now written a memoir. The “Garfreaks” are the folks are attacking her and her book without reading it! She was not an employee. She worked for Freddie Fields and David Begelman. Garland was their client. You would understand all this if you read the book. You’re playing right into Scott’s narrative only you don’t realize it.

As for the book, which I covered for my website stargayzing.com and for the Huffington Post, it is about much more than JG and was, for me, a very compelling and straight forward story of a woman’s ambition to succeed in show business.

We are all free to have our own opinions, but I must speak up when folks proffer a position without the benefit of having done any due diligence. If you took the time to read the book, I bet you would find yourself identifying much more with Phillips than with stars she represented.

David Munk

3. Joni Rapp says:

You said she worked for, “Fields and Begelman.” I rest my case! I have read MOST of the books on Judy. I knew Nancy Barr, Pat McGrath (President of her fanclub in the 60’s) and have been a follower of hers for over FIFTY years! I met Judy, I know Judy, since before many of you were born. As I said…Begelman? That just makes me laugh (and cry for Judy).

4. Joni Rapp says:

Judy, you will always be remembered with LOVE and RESPECT by so many of us. Not the nasty words of those who just want to profit and cash in on you. You were my hero; my mentor and taught me how to sing from my heart. I have won awards for that …and it’s because of you. I actually made a living from it for many years (still do on occasion).. YOU were the key! Your voice, your intellect and your HUMOR were awesome and inspiring. YES, I am talking to Judy here. Yes, you had problems (as many since you have been accepted as having), but not you for some reason. Somehow YOU will never be forgiven or able to rest in peace by VULTURES. You were so much more vulnerable back then …before these problems were able to be treated. But those problems did not make you someone to pity …nor make a buck from …as many, since your death deem to do. I have no, “Rose Colored Glasses”, but, seeing you DEFILED still upsets me! I was at your funeral service at Campbells (1969)…..and lost my job over it. I lived. I may sound ANCIENT, but was then “Just a “child of the 60’s.” I will always defend you. Liza too! Two beautiful souls! *** Screw the Money Mongers! This “newest” entry into the world of making a BUCK from your person does not even write well! Blame it on the GHOST WRITERS who bought her soul!

5. Joni Rapp says:

>>>>The “Garfreaks” are the folks are attacking her and her book without reading it!<<<
    … "SIGH…" Two chapters…

6. Judyaround says:

There was a wonderful Judy group about 15 to 20 years ago, I think it was on either Yahoo groups or AOL groups, it was run by a Judy fan who lived in Arizona – Tuscon I think. It had members from around the world

I forgot his name, but I remember he posted an article about him in the local paper, showing his home with the walls covered in Judy-bilia.

He was a riot – very funny and witty. If you didn’t cross him he was always helpful with stories and answers to questions. But if you rubbed him the wrong way – watch out! He would skewer you with a devastating comment that was often very funny – to somebody else!

I was always meaning to archive the site and comments by copying some of the best threads.. But alas, one day the group became too much for him to deal with and he deleted the group, taking all the great conversations and comments with it.

Would anyone remember his name by any chance.. Maybe he’s reading this now!

7. ozianscott says:

Hi,

I believe you’re talking about the Yahoo Group “Judy Chat” which was run by the late Eric Hemphill. Sadly he passed away a few years ago. He ran the “Judy Chat” group in the mid-2000s. It was one of several Yahoo Groups that popped up after “The Judy List” ended in 2002. Eric was a friend of The Judy Room and was THE major contributor to The Judy Garland Online Discography as well as most of the movie spotlight sections at the site. He is greatly missed.

I don’t know what happened to his immense collection after he passed. I’m not sure what his family did with all of that. It’s a shame he left us at such a young age. 😦

8. Anonymous Guy says:

Hi. I’m not an actual fan of Judy Garland, but I thought you would like to know that I saw “Meet Me in St. Louis” at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring, Maryland recently. The whole movie was wonderful, and of course J.G. was the main reason. I tend to like a lot of popular culture from the 1940s and 1950s. Then the 1960s came along and a lot started to change. What a contrast.